Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wine Wednesday - A Perfect Pairing!

Hallelujah! It's Fall! The end of October not only means pumpkins, wreaths and Halloween costumes - it also means that nobody will judge me for wearing my cashmere even thought it is 82 degrees and I am sweating like a pig. Because gosh darn. It's FALL!

Fall for me and Josh means one thing... turkey meatloaf! Specifically my rootin' tootin' tasty turkey meatloaf. I would like to think that among the 14 people I have served it to, I am famous.

Now all of you Smitten-Kitchen-readers and Martha-Stewart-lovers have already turned up your snotty (from the weather changing) noses to one word in that paragraph above... meatloaf. But you know what? The Brady Bunch kids loved it when Alice made meatloaf. And when you have a good recipe... your husband just may fall to the ground and weep with joy (just like mine does!) when you pop this little beauty in the oven!

So get off your high horse and make the darn meatloaf. I can almost promise you will be a convert for life.

Josh's Favorite Dinner - Turkey Meatloaf!
This recipe is slightly adapted from a Cagle Family recipe. However, the Cagles are basically my family (anyone you spend Thanksgiving/Christmas with is officially FAMILY.) so I cook this sucker with love in my heart.

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground turkey
1 lb. ground super lean beef
1 pkg. onion soup mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup half & half
2 eggs lightly beaten
1 sleeve Ritz, crushed
1 bottle of Heinz chili sauce

In a large bowl, place onion soup mix. Cover with sour cream, eggs, and half & half. Allow to stand well mixed for a few minutes. Sprinkle the Ritz crumbs over the mixture. Add the meat (uncooked) and mix thoroughly. Shape into a free-form loaf in the middle of a casserole dish ( Allows for more of it to caramelize...) Dump a 1/4 to 1/2 of the bottle of chili sauce on top. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350 degrees. Serve with extra chili sauce on the side.

Yay for dinner! But WAIT!

It's Wine Wednesday, not Meatloaf Wednesday! Although that's not a bad idea....
Turkey meatloaf is savory, meaty and deLISH. But the turkey keeps it from being too heavy and the chili sauce gives it a subtle yet interesting "tang". This is one of those comforting, yummy meals that is perfect on a cool evening, and Josh and I both agree that this a "red wine" kind of meal. So many dishes can go a thousand directions in the realm of wine, but this is meant for a full, juicy, cozy red. We have a couple of favorites to pair with this one:

When you are feelin' schmancy...
Frank Family Vineyards - Zinfandel
Retail approx. $40

I know this is expensive. And I know that a lot of people out there turn and run when they hear the word zinfandel. But this is RED zinfandel and it. is. the.
Best.
If you have never tried a good red zin or haven't liked the cheap stuff, then this is for you. It is juicy with lots of blackberry, jam, a subtle spice and tannins that balance perfectly. This bottle will not only make you rethink zin, but it will also justify every penny you spend on it. Just think! A bottle of this plus the meatloaf ingredients is still going to be cheaper than going out to your standard restaurant... So buy it! You can find it at good wine stores and even high-end grocery stores. Just let the fermented perfection overwhelm you...

If my eloquent words couldn't convince you...
Folie a Deux - Menage a Trois Red Wine
Retail approx. $10

This stuff is super cheap and pretty darn good! It isn't going to rock the foundation of your wine world, but it is a reliable, easy drinking red. We always have it at our grocery store, and we really enjoy sipping this with my turkey meatloaf! I think this is also a great option for guys and gals that tend to favor whites over reds. This one is like putting on your old t-shirt from middle school - soft, comfortable, easy and casual. Even if you are too cool for my meatloaf, this would be a great one to add to your grocery store rotation.


So eat! Drink! Celebrate fall! And don't judge my meatloaf. just give it a little love.

3 comments:

  1. And she's back... Happy Wine Wednesday to you! I have a Roasted Red Pepper Turkey Meatloaf recipe that is a crowd "hubbie" pleasing treat in our house too!! I am going to try your recipe though... it looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur about your meatloaf. Your sweet little hubby and his meatloaf loving daddy are in total agreement. Even this non meatloaf loving momma LOVES this meatloaf. My son is one lucky man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had zin last night and loved it, thanks to you!!!We love celebrating Wine Wednesday with you!!!!
    Spunky and Spooky wish you all a Happy Halloween!!!

    ReplyDelete